As a business owner, you need to keep up with the latest marketing trends and strategies to stay afloat. One such trend is marketing automation, which should now be considered a priority and not just another fad.
It lets you offload time-consuming tasks, improve productivity, increase leads and conversions, reduce overheads, and allow for business growth with fewer resources.
Want more proof? We have put together essential marketing automation statistics to help you understand how you can use it to boost your business and increase ROI.
Marketing Automation Statistics (Editor’s Choice)
- 51% of companies on average are now using marketing automation.
- Marketing automation is one of the fastest-growing software industries.
- 61% of marketers see lead generation as the most important goal of marketing automation.
- 76% of companies that implemented marketing automation enjoyed ROI within a year.
- 55.6% of businesses don't use marketing automation due to a lack of expertise.
General Marketing Automation Stats & Facts
1. 51% of companies are now using marketing automation.
Just over half of companies on average, or 51%, are now taking advantage of marketing automation, underscoring the growing popularity of such tools over just a few years. In addition, marketing automation statistics show that 58% of B2B companies plan to implement this particular technology going forward.
2. 63% of marketers want to increase their marketing automation budgets.
With over 50% of companies having already adopted marketing automation to some degree, a further 63% plan to increase their marketing budgets to make room for marketing automation tools and software in their strategies in 2020.
3. 40% of companies not yet using marketing automation will soon.
An impressive 40% of companies that have not yet boarded the marketing automation express plan to do so in the next year. Around 50% of marketers meanwhile remain unsure, while only one-tenth have no plans to invest in marketing automation tools.
4. Marketing automation is one of the fastest-growing software industries.
According to marketing automation software stats, the industry was worth a whopping $6.1 billion last year. What's more, it is expected to double in size come 2023, further highlighting the rate of adoption of such tools.
5. Over half of marketers believe their companies cannot keep up with the MarTech evolution.
56% of all marketers surveyed in 2017 thought their companies could not keep up with the rapid changes in the marketing automation industry. Walker Sands’ second annual State of Marketing Technology Report, however, also indicates that the bulk of marketers are moving to embrace customized MarTech suites.
Stats on Marketing Automation Benefits
6. Marketers see lead generation as the top goal of marketing automation.
When marketers were asked what they thought was the most important goal of marketing automation, an overwhelming 61% said lead generation. A further 57% cited lead nurturing, while others cited sales revenue (47%), improving customer engagement (36%), marketing productivity (29%), and improving campaign measurability (28%) as top goals for marketing automation.
(Social Media Today)
7. 58% of marketers say upselling is one of the most important uses of marketing automation.
With the help of marketing automation, marketers are enjoying increased upselling opportunities through automated marketing campaigns. Upselling is a common marketing tactic used to get customers to make additional purchases based on their purchase history and interests. 58% of marketers now believe that the ability to upsell is one of the most important reasons to use marketing automation.
8. Social media post scheduling is considered the most suitable use for marketing automation.
It seems most marketers consider social media post scheduling the most suitable use for marketing automation. Social media marketing statistics confirmed that 85% of marketers felt this way, while other digital marketing elements considered suitable for marketing automation include:
- Email marketing – 83%
- Social media advertising – 58%
- Messaging/chatbots – 53%
- Sales prospecting/alerts – 39%
- Social media engagement – 36%
- Social media post creation – 29%
- PR outreach/brand promotion – 23%
(Social Media Today)
9. Email automation is regarded as the most popular type of marketing automation.
Social media marketing may be the most suitable use for marketing automation, automated email marketing is the most popular, according to 64% of marketers. It was also found that profiling and targeting (26%) and personalization through content (23%) are top contenders.
Marketing Automation ROI Statistics
10. Over 75% of marketers see a return on investment within one year.
According to 76% of companies that implemented marketing automation, they enjoyed an ROI within the first year, while 44% saw a return in just six months.
11. 80% of companies saw an increase in leads through marketing automation.
There seems to be a reason why lead generation is considered a top marketing automation strategy goal. 80% of companies enjoyed an increase in leads through marketing automation. According to Business2Community, the average increase in leads is 451%.
12. 77% of marketers reported an increase in conversions.
Marketing automation doesn't just improve leads. 77% of companies reported increased conversions through automated lead nurturing.
13. Companies see up to 20% of conversions through lead nurturing.
If 77% of companies increased their conversions through sales marketing automation, exactly how big of an increase can we expect? Data suggest an average of 15-20% of potential customers were converted to sales thanks to automated lead nurturing.
14. Improved productivity is another marketing automation benefit.
While more leads and conversions are the ultimate goal for many businesses, marketing automation facts point to other benefits as well. Research has found that it can actually boost productivity by 20% on average. If you want a more productive team, perhaps consider marketing automation.
15. 80% of marketers attribute their success to marketing automation.
Marketing automation stats show that 80% of marketers reckon the tool is one of the most significant contributors to their success. Based on the statistics alone, it is clear that marketing automation is essential for business growth and success.
Marketing Automation Trends & Challenges
16. Delivering personalized content is considered a major challenge.
According to 44% of marketing influencers, delivering personalized content is one of the biggest challenges companies face with marketing automation. Coming in a close second place, 43% feel integrating automated marketing systems to be the biggest challenge.
17. Finding the right tools for marketing automation can be challenging for businesses.
Marketing automation industry stats further indicate that another challenge companies commonly face is finding the right marketing automation tools or software. In fact, 20% of marketing agencies say this is their number 1 barrier to success.
According to 6% of marketers, other marketing automation challenges including, data management, segmentation, and optimization.
18. 55.6% of businesses don't use automation due to a lack of expertise.
While many digital marketing firms have adopted marketing automation technologies, others have not done so for several reasons. Marketing automation facts and figures further show that a lack of expertise is what is holding 55.6% back. 48% have cited a lack of human resources as the reason, while 32% said it was due to a lack of finances. Check out our digital marketing statistics for more up-to-date industry-related information.
The marketing automation industry is growing at an astounding rate. What is more, while certain challenges are still holding some companies and marketers back from incorporating such tools into their strategy, it seems that this exciting field is on an upward trajectory. These marketing automation statistics are another testament to that, and further demonstrate that while early adopters are already reaping the benefits of these exciting automation advancements, it is not too late to join the MarTech revolution.