In today’s modern fast-paced world, people are always busy and it’s often difficult to connect with them. That said, their mobile phones are rarely far away, which is why SMS marketing has become so popular among businesses and customers alike.
Check out our list of SMS marketing stats to learn more about this form of marketing, along with why it has become the ultimate way to reach consumers, and how you can incorporate it into your business strategy.
SMS Marketing Stats (Editor’s Choice)
- It is predicted that 48.7 million consumers will opt-in to receive business SMS messaging by 2020.
- 39% of US consumers find that they use their mobile phones excessively.
- 79% of smartphone users make their shopping decisions based on SMS opt-in or similar mobile device services.
- The average open rate for text message marketing campaigns is 98%, compared to a 20% open rate for email marketing campaigns.
- SMS response rates are 295% higher than phone call response rates.
- 75% of people wouldn’t mind receiving an SMS text message from a brand if they opt-in for the service.
SMS Marketing Stats for 2021
1. It is predicted that 48.7 million consumers will opt-in to receive business SMS messaging by 2020.
SMS advertising is growing at a surprising rate; by the end of 2016, the number of consumers who accepted to receive advertisement SMSes stood at 37.2 million. That number is projected to rise to 48.7 million in 2020. These figures not only represent SMS as the fastest-growing marketing channel but also as the one most appealing for businesses. It's not surprising then that the number of companies that use text message marketing software is continuously increasing.
2. 39% of US consumers find that they use their mobile phones excessively.
How many text messages are sent a day? The answer is 23 billion. American users check their smartphones an average of 52 times each day. That’s up from 47 times per day just a year ago. About 35% of adults report that they use their smartphones “extremely often” or “quite often” for business needs outside regular working hours. In the US, 60% of users aged 18-34 admit to smartphone overuse, the highest status of any age group.
(Journal of Accountancy)
3. 5 billion people in the world can send and receive SMS messages.
Recent research and text message marketing facts show that, while not everyone has a smartphone with internet access, 5 billion people in the world (about 65% of the current population) can send and receive SMS messages. This number is expected to grow to 6 billion (about 78% of the world population) by the year 2025.
4. 80% of people would like the option to use their smartphones to interact with health care providers.
SMS text marketing statistics show that 76% of people across the world are keen to be reminded of their medical appointments, while 69% would like to receive reminders to arrange appointments or to take their medication.
5. 90% of adults have a cell phone or a smartphone.
A more comprehensive look into these numbers reveals that 74% of seniors own a mobile phone, as well as 88% of the people aged 50-64. 97% of those younger than 49 meanwhile own a cell phone or a smartphone.
The latest SMS marketing stats, therefore, prove that text messaging is not just for the younger generation; you can reach anyone, regardless of their age, through SMS.
6. Approximately 92% of US adults own a cell phone.
Text messaging service for business data indicates that there’s no better way to reach an audience than SMS advertising. Here’s how the rate of US adults who own a cell phone compares to those using other devices:
It’s higher than the 68% who own a smartphone and the 73% with a computer. It means that text messages have a bigger chance of getting to people than messages that can be obtained through internet channels, such as email, social media or mobile apps.
7. What country sends the most text messages? That would be the Philippines with 2.36 billion messages.
The fact the most texts are being sent from this country is surprising to some because of the population differences between the Philippines and larger countries. However, in the Philippines, SMS communication is perhaps the most common means of communication because it is the cheapest. Texting is so predominant in this nation that it has been used to organize public demonstrations.
8. What percentage of text messages are read? 90% are read within 3 minutes.
Mobile SMS marketing data shows that text messages are read, on average, in under five seconds, with 90% of them opened in the same time frame; that is a far cry from emails, which are only opened 20% of the time (more on this later). Another major advantage of text messages is that, unlike email, senders aren’t limited to a smartphone or a computer to get a message through.
9. Text message marketing statistics show that consumers redeem SMS-delivered coupons about 10 times more than other coupon types.
Digital coupons sent via email and got in through a mobile device are redeemed within a 0.5%-2% range. But by sending those coupons in the form of a text marketing promotion, marketers can develop much higher redemption rates. Customer texting surveys indicate that 85% of consumers will redeem a coupon sent via text within one week.
(Point Of Sale)
10. 79% of smartphone users make their shopping decisions based on SMS opt-in or similar mobile device services.
This is an astounding number and one of the many incredible SMS marketing facts that showcase how effective this form of advertising can be. As we can see, mobile marketing continues to grow with smartphone users relying on their cell phones for researching products and finding services. If you want to connect to customers, business text messaging is the most direct avenue.
11. 74% of cell phone and smartphone users have no unread text messages.
Just 4% of users have 7 or more unread texts, compared to 38% with unread emails.41% will reply to a business email within an hour, while 38% will respond to friends and family within an hour. The latest text message marketing stats, however, suggest that 74% of phone users reply to a text from a business within an hour, while 85% text back to friends or family within an hour.
(Zipwhip State of Texting Report)
12. 91% of Americans have their mobile devices nearby 24/7.
Americans spend an average of 90 minutes a day on their smartphones, with about 25% of that spent text messaging. 35% of Americans look at their mobile phones within 5 minutes of waking up in the morning, while 70% use their mobile phones during mealtime, according to text message marketing stats.
13. 50% of US consumers make a purchase after receiving an advertising text, a discount coupon, or a QR code.
SMS advertising leads to a purchase in 50% of the cases. This shows that marketers and digital marketing firms that do not consider sending marketing or promotional SMS to potential customers might miss out on substantial revenue.
Is Text Message Marketing Effective?
14. The average open rate for text message marketing campaigns is 98%, compared to 20% for email marketing campaigns.
Compared to email, the SMS open rate stands much higher. This shows that most customers see texting as a more trusted, personal way to communicate and receive marketing offers. Text messaging ad campaigns are also cheaper than many email campaigns and have a higher return on investment.
15. The click-through rate for SMS ads is 19%.
According to stats on text message marketing from previous years, only 4.2% of all emails result in clicks, which is a relatively low rate for direct marketing. A bulk text messaging system, on the other hand, delivers a 19% click-through rate, making it one of the number one ways for lead generation online.
16. SMS response rates are 295% higher than phone call response rates.
Consumers are much more likely to respond to texts than calls; when verifying personal information, people are almost 300% more likely to respond to texts than calls.
17. Text messaging marketing has a 45% response rate.
Stats on SMS marketing indicate that this type of marketing has a 45% response rate, while email marketing is at just 6%. Not only are your customers more likely to open marketing offers and communications received via texts, but they’re also more likely to connect with your business. Beyond the personal aspect, SMS messages are easier to receive, read, and act on with users checking their phones dozens of times a day.
18. The average person responds to a text message in 90 seconds.
Sms marketing stats show that while people are swift to reply to a text, they take up to an hour and a half to reply to an email with the same information. This makes text message advertisement strategies essential for time-sensitive, participation-heavy offers and events, such as limited time/supply sales, contests or event registration.
Corporations can also leverage faster return rates to receive real-time customer feedback on orders, service experiences, and brand opinions.
19. Text messaging is used for business by more than 80% of people.
Small business SMS marketing stats undeniably prove that small businesses across the nation use mobile texting to gain and convert more customers. Contacting businesses through text to schedule appointments, make product inquiries, and for other business purposes has grown into a popular B2B and B2C communication method.
20. Mobile Marketers are 79% more likely to use other mobile-specific marketing tactics if they use an SMS marketing strategy.
With businesses that adopt this type of marketing immediately recognizing the effect of text message advertising and how receptive their audience is to that medium, they are much more likely to use other marketing tactics related to mobile.
Text message marketing trends show that these campaigns also set users up to see a brand’s other mobile campaigns, increasing the brand’s publicity.
21. Only about 1% of SMS marketing messages are considered spam.
Marketing via SMS is an opt-in service that requests the users’ approval for sending text messages. Given the need for consent, the rate of spam in text message advertising is merely 1%, making SMS one of your most valid marketing tools.
(Mobile Marketing Watch)
22. 75% of people wouldn’t mind receiving an SMS from a brand if they opt-in for the service.
Contradictory to most people’s assumptions, SMS marketing statistics find that users wouldn’t mind receiving an offer from a brand via text. Customers feel this way because of the personal touch of text messages, along with the fact that, for companies to reach out via SMS, consumers have to deliberately choose this means of communication.
23. 90% of consumers enrolled in SMS loyalty clubs feel like they benefit from the program.
According to text message marketing stats from previous years, the majority of consumers involved in SMS loyalty clubs had a positive experience.
This speaks for the effectiveness of text messages marketing as a form of business-to-customer communication. Customer satisfaction with these added benefits brings invaluable loyalty.
24. Over 35% of phone users in the world are best reached by SMS.
As businesses seek to expand to their key demographics, SMS allows them to do just that.
SMS marketing trends indicate that, while iPhone and Androids seem omnipresent in major cities today, it’s necessary to remember that approximately half of all cell phone users in the world do not own a smartphone. This means that more advanced mobile marketing campaigns such as those with apps or QR codes aren’t available to approximately half of the potential global customers.
25. SMS has a 97% read rate with 15 minutes of delivery.
Why is SMS marketing important? Because it is one of the most immediate communication methods available to marketers.
Text campaign success figures are what also makes this an important form of marketing; 45% of these campaigns have a successful ROI, reaching over 50% of the targeted audience when connected with other channels such as email and social media.
Additionally, this type of marketing is an excellent channel to receive feedback from your customers via surveys. Statistics on text message marketing reveal that 31% of users will reply to a survey via SMS, with the average reply time for users being just over 5 minutes. Advertising agencies know how important reviews can be for a business.
(Business 2 Community)
26. From 2015 to 2017, the use of SMS marketing services by B2B marketers has increased by 197%.
The use of text marketing is clearly on the rise. An increase of almost 200% in its use among B2B marketers in just 2 years more than proves its effectiveness. While not all business owners are on board with it, many acknowledge that the benefits of SMS business marketing justify a variation in the approach to marketing strategies.
As our list of SMS marketing stats shows, incorporating a text message marketing program into your strategy can have many benefits. While many people today have access to email via their smartphones, they hardly open and read their emails as regularly and promptly as they do receive text messages.
The fact is, SMS marketing plays a fundamental role in any mobile strategy. Not simply does it have a larger reach than any other form of marketing, but it also runs a direct and intimate communication channel that customers prefer.