In today's digital world, video is an integral part of marketing plans and it’s poised to become even more important in the future. Below, we’ve provided a list of the most relevant video marketing statistics to assure you this is the future of advertising and give you some important notes that can help you create a killer video marketing strategy.
Video Marketing Statistics (Editor’s Choice)
- Video ad spending will reach $37.4 billion in 2021.
- Mobile will account for 73% of video ad spending by 2024.
- Video will make up about 82% of consumer internet traffic by 2022.
- The average video marketing revenue per internet user is $7.87.
- 71% of B2B marketers use video marketing.
- 79% of video marketers are using Facebook.
- Half of Twitter’s revenue is from video ads.
- 85% of video marketers are using YouTube.
The State of Video Marketing
1. Video ad spending in 2021 will reach $37.4 billion.
Stats about video marketing reveal marketers will spend $37.4 billion on video advertising in 2021, noting a 12.5% year-over-year growth. Spending on video advertising is projected to have an annual growth rate of 5.1% in the period between 2021 and 2025, which would result in a market volume of $45.5 billion by 2025.
2. 99% of marketers say they will continue using video.
Marketers that have used video in their approach have seen the benefits it can bring, and nearly 100% of them say they will continue using video in their strategy.
(Social Media Week)
3. 61% of marketers will increase video spending in 2021.
The COVID-19 pandemic influences where the marketers plan to invest. As per the latest stats on video marketing, they will reduce the funding of traditional channels and invest more resources toward digital channels, more specifically paid social media and video.
4. 96% of marketers have placed a video ad.
Nearly all marketers have placed a video ad on social media. 91% of them said they are satisfied with the video marketing ROI, while 93% have gained a new customer because of publishing videos on social media.
5. Mobile will account for 73% of video ad spending by 2024.
Mobile is already driving a huge portion of video ad spending, and considering the advancements in mobile technology, this trend won’t stop soon. In fact, according to statistics on video marketing, mobile will account for 73% of the total video ad spending by 2024.
6. By 2022, video marketing will make up approximately 82% of consumer internet traffic.
With people preferring video over any other content type, it isn’t a surprise that video marketing will be responsible for 82% of the consumer internet traffic by 2022. This is 15x higher than it was in 2017.
7. The top 3 countries make more than half of the global video marketing revenue.
Video marketing statistics reveal the US makes $10.71 billion, China sees $5.27 billion, and Japan makes $2 billion in video marketing revenue, which altogether account for the majority of global video marketing revenue. Followed by the UK and France, these three marketing giants show no intention of losing their spots as leaders in the industry.
8. The average revenue per internet user is $7.87.
Advertising companies using video as their main marketing campaign point earn, on average, $7.87 per internet user who sees their advertisement. Video statistics show that although the costs of running a video marketing campaign are significantly higher than running a photo ad, the profits seem to be tenfold.
9. 85% of businesses use video as a marketing tool.
Consumer attention is more likely to be attained through video. That’s why a growing number of marketers are implementing video in their strategy. Also, 92% of those who do so say it’s an important part of their marketing strategy.
10. 71% of B2B marketers use video marketing.
B2B video marketing trends show that not only there is an increased number of marketers adopting video, but 73% of them are reporting a positive impact on their ROI.
11. 20% of marketers started using video marketing in 2019.
There are many late adopters in the industry, as 20% of marketers have only started using video in 2019, mostly because they believe creating a video has become less time-consuming.
12. 56% of businesses post up to five videos to social media every month.
Facts about video marketing reveal the majority of businesses are posting up to five videos on social media per month. 19% of businesses are posting between 5 and 10 videos, 11% are posting more than 10, and 14% aren’t posting videos to social media at all.
Online Video Consumption Statistics
13. 43% of people spend less than 30 minutes watching videos.
The majority of people are watching videos for less than 30 minutes every day. 34% are spending between 30 minutes and one hour watching videos, whereas 23% are devoting more than 1 hour to watching videos.
14. 68% of people will watch a business video that’s under 1 minute until the end.
Consumers want things short and sweet. If a brand’s video is under one minute, 68% of consumers will watch it until the end. On the other hand, only 25% will see a video from beginning to end if it’s over 20 minutes.
15. 65% of people would prefer watching a long video to reading a long article.
Although video stats confirm shorter is better when it comes to video length, 65% of people would rather watch a long video than read a long article if they could choose. 18% of the respondents said they would do either.
16. Close to 50% of online users search for product videos before making a purchase.
When you’re not able to see the product in person, as you would in a shop, there is no better way to ensure you receive the item you want. Before making an online purchase, nearly half of all shoppers search the web for videos of the product they intend on buying.
(Think with Google)
17. 75% of people are more likely to follow a brand’s social media page if it has video content.
Video has the power to engage the audience and 75% will decide to follow a brand on social media if it has video content.
18. 81% of people prefer watching videos on social media to other content.
As per video content marketing stats, video is the most preferred content type on social media, with 81% of people prefer this format over other types of content including images, text posts, stories, quizzes, and live streaming. Video is also the content type that receives the most engagement (74%).
19. 4x as many customers would rather watch a video about a product than read about it.
According to a study conducted back in 2015, barely 25% of customers prefer written or photo ads to video ones. Most find it more convenient to sit through a 30-second ad than read through a short paragraph.
20. 6 out of 10 people prefer online platforms over TV.
One of the most important video marketing industry trends you should know is that contemporary mediums, such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and other similar platforms have replaced TV, as the vast majority choose to spend their leisure time using them. This explains why those who are serious about advertising their products have already made their online presence a priority.
(Think with Google)
21. 12% of visitors will watch a video if it’s available on an ecommerce site.
If you have a video available on your ecommerce site, data shows that every tenth user or so will watch it in its entirety, regardless of the product it features. Even though this number might appear low at first, imagine the exposure some brands get on larger platforms, such as eBay, Amazon, or Aliexpress.
22. 85% of consumers would want to see more video content from brands.
Despite most companies increasingly using videos, video content marketing trends speak about most consumers that want to see more. Adding video to your content strategy is an excellent way to increase the engagement rate and add to your bottom line.
23. 63% of people are watching videos on their smartphones.
63% of consumers are choosing smartphones to watch videos. For comparison, 30% are playing videos on their desktop or laptop, and only 7% on a tablet.
24. People are 1.5x more likely to watch videos on their smartphones.
In fact, mobile video consumption sees a 100% increase every year. Speaking of mobile video marketing trends, it’s worth knowing that 92% of consumers that watch videos on their mobile would share them with others.
25. People are 2x more likely to share video with their friends than any other content type.
Videos are shareable content. When users come across an interesting video, they are twice as likely to share it with their friends compared to any other content type.
26. 78% of people watch videos on a weekly basis.
This goes in line with the previous video marketing statistics about increased video consumption. Nearly 80% of people are watching videos every week. A whopping 55% are watching videos every day. If you want to meet consumers where they are, you need to start creating engaging videos.
(Social Media Week)
27. 70% of businesses are creating more videos compared to last year.
Videos have a retention rate of 52% which is far better than other content types. This is certainly one of the reasons why 70% of businesses are creating more video compared to last year.
28. Video marketers are most likely to create explainer videos (72%).
Besides explainer videos, presentation videos (49%), testimonial videos (48%), sales videos (42%), and video ads (42%) are among video types typically created by marketers, as per video marketing statistics.
29. 44% of businesses say informative videos perform the best.
Informative videos perform the best according to 44% of businesses. Videos with entertaining content come in next with 37% of businesses believing they are the top-performing video type.
Video Marketing Benefits
30. 70% of B2B marketers find video advertising effective.
Businesses that advertise their services to other businesses, such as those specializing in cloud storage, mostly find video advertising beneficial to their company. In addition to attracting more customers, B2B video marketing statistics show that those using video as their primary marketing tool find that those customers have more confidence in their business, as having a video ad projects an image of authority and success.
(The Mx Group)
31. 88% of video marketers have reported a positive ROI from video marketing.
Figures like these further prove the effectiveness of video in marketing strategies. 88% of marketers have said video gives them a positive ROI, up by 33% from 2015. At the same time, 83% of video marketers say video helps with lead generation, 87% see increased web traffic due to video marketing, and 80% report increased sales.
32. A website that includes a video is 53x more likely to reach Google’s front page.
Video marketing stats confirm videos on websites make the users stay on a page longer, thus boosting the dwell time which is one of the reasons why these sites are 53x more likely to rank on the first page on Google.
33. Video boosts organic search traffic by 157%.
Videos are interactive and can convey human emotion in a way that makes it easier for users to connect with the content. Unsurprisingly, videos boost click-through rate, driving a 157% increase in organic traffic.
34. 94% of marketers believe that video helped users gain a better understanding of their products and service.
Videos give consumers a close-up of a product or service. In fact, almost all marketers agree that video is the best method to help customers understand what the product or service is about.
35. 64% of consumers will purchase a product after watching a branded video on Facebook.
Social media video statistics by marketers, on the other hand, reveal that 83% of them report Facebook video content positively impacts the number of purchases.
36. 70% of businesses believe that video boosts brand awareness.
Video is engaging, memorable, and popular among the consumers, which is why 70% of businesses believe it’s a great tool for brand awareness boost.
37. 81% of video marketers have seen a boost in the average time the visitors spend on a page.
Video marketing facts confirm people are more inclined to stay on a web page if it has video. Video catches the attention more than any other content type and people spend 2.6x more time on those pages, on average. In fact, 81% of marketers confirm they have seen an increase in the average time visitors spend on a page.
38. 84% of people have been convinced to buy a product or service after watching a branded video.
People are watching 16 hours of online video on average every week. What’s more, 84% have been convinced to buy a product/service, whereas 74% of people have decided to download or buy an app or software after watching a brand’s video, as per stats about video marketing.
Video Production Statistics
39. Video is the most difficult content type to create for 64% of marketers.
The majority of marketers think creating a video is difficult. In terms of video production, affordability (56%), lack of time (31%), and the effort it requires (13%) are the main obstacles.
(Render Forest, Epigroup)
40. 75% of businesses use online platforms to create videos.
Online platforms are the go-to channels for video creation. Another 16% of businesses have an in-house design team, whereas the rest go with one of the top video production agencies or freelancers.
41. 92% of consumers view videos with the sound off.
Stats about video marketing further reveal that the majority of consumers are turning the sound off when viewing videos. These facts have changed the video production trends and now captions have become a standard, especially for videos on social media.
42. 57% of SMBs are using internal resources for video production.
Producing a video in-house means more creative freedom and saving more money in the long run. While outsourcing the task can get you an unbiased perspective and a team that has experience in working with different clients, only 21% of small businesses choose to outsource their video production, and 22% rely on the combination of internal and external resources.
Facebook Video Marketing Stats
43. 79% of video marketers are using Facebook.
With 2.7 billion active users, Facebook offers incredible opportunities to reach your ideal customer. More and more marketers have started to realize that and now close to 80% of video marketers are leveraging Facebook. 85% of them confirm it’s an effective channel.
44. 84% of marketers that are using Facebook say it’s one of their video marketing channels.
Based on additional figures that prove Facebook’s effectiveness, 84% of video marketers have started using the platform as one of their main video marketing channels. Two-thirds of American marketers do the same.
45. 70% of advertisers plan on incorporating videos in their Facebook marketing strategy.
Video marketing facts reveal that 70% of Facebook advertising experts who are still using photo ads as their primary marketing strategy plan on switching to video, making it clear that video consumption is slowly increasing on Facebook.
(Social Samosa, Adstage)
46. 71% of Facebook users find the video ads they see relevant to them.
Facebook’s ad algorithms appear to be working perfectly. Since the concept of marketing was invented, there hasn’t been a medium that can target audiences more effectively.
(Small Business Trends)
47. 62% of US consumers have become more interested in a brand after seeing it in stories on the Facebook family of platforms.
Stories have become increasingly popular in the past few years. After Snapchat and Instagram, Facebook too introduced stories which seem to have opened new possibilities for video marketers. Stories are a highly engaging format and 62% of US viewers have become more interested in a brand after seeing it in a story on Facebook’s social media family.
48. Facebook is moving closer to becoming “video-only” in 2021.
Stats about video marketing on Facebook reveal that the new algorithm favors longer videos with higher completion rates which might be a strategy to get some TV ad money. Also, the platform is testing a new video-only tab, which further supports the prediction that Facebook is becoming one step closer to being video-only in 2021.
49. 90% of profile pages use native Facebook videos.
To put this number into perspective, only 30% of profile pages use YouTube videos. Facebook native videos are also proven to have 10x more reach than shared YouTube links and are getting 478% more shares than other platforms.
YouTube Video Advertising Stats
50. Over 1 billion hours of video are watched on YouTube every day.
When YouTube’s algorithm shows an ad roughly every 10 minutes and 1 billion hours of video are watched on the platform every day, we can easily see the potential that this medium has for advertisers.
51. 500+ hours of content is uploaded every minute on YouTube.
YouTube statistics reveal creating content for the platform is becoming a more and more popular trend. Currently, 500+ hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute which equals nearly 30,000 hours of content per hour.
52. 85% of video marketers are using YouTube.
Video marketing statistics reveal YouTube retains the reign when it comes to this content format. The majority of video marketers are using YouTube as the main platform to publish videos, and 83% of them are reporting positive experiences.
53. 9% of small businesses in the US use YouTube for advertising.
With YouTube and Facebook, small business owners finally have a reasonably priced method of advertising their services. Both platforms have settings aimed at cost control, such as setting a daily or monthly advertising budget, which helps small businesses get noticed without spending a fortune.
54. The average YouTube costs $0.10 to $0.30 per view.
Ever since YouTube changed ownership and a new ad algorithm was implemented, the platform has seen a steady rise in ad revenue, as evident by its video advertising stats. When Google acquired the platform, advertisers gained the ability to target most YouTube viewers based on gender, age, and location, as opposed to just their video history, at the cost of just a few cents per view.
55. 70% of YouTube consumers are mobile users.
If you’ve ever wondered what percentage of video views on YouTube come from mobile, it’s 70%, most of whom are aged between 18 and 49.
56. 35% of mobile users in the US watch videos on YouTube more than once a day.
There are more than 270 million mobile internet users in the US, and nearly 90 million of them access YouTube more than once per day. For the second year in a row, mobile beats desktop use by over 10%, as per mobile video marketing statistics.
57. Users over the age of 45 are more likely to watch full YouTube ads.
The number of views a specific video on YouTube gets isn’t the most important from a marketing standpoint. What matters more is the view-through rate. VTR represents the number of people who have seen the ad in its entirety, and people over the age of 45 appear to be the ones with the most patience.
58. 60% of people would rather buy a product recommended by a YouTuber than one recommended by a movie or TV star.
In addition to the standard YouTube ads, some companies choose to pay YouTubers directly for advertisements. This type of endorsement is also common in sports, as well as in various other niches. However, the majority of consumers have more trust in Pewdiepie's product recommendations than they do in Rihanna’s or David Beckham's.
Instagram Video Advertising Statistics
59. Video posts on Instagram have a 0.75% engagement rate.
According to the latest Instagram marketing statistics, video is one of the most-viewed formats on Instagram that brings in the highest engagement rate. It comes only behind photos (1.03%) and carousel posts (0.86%).
60. 5 million videos were uploaded in just 24 hours when Instagram Video was first introduced.
With the introduction of its video feature back in 2013, Instagram saw more than 5 million videos uploaded to the platform within the first 24 hours. Video popularity hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down ever since, as users spent 80% more time watching videos in 2017 than they did the year before.
61. Brand engagement is 10 times higher on Instagram than on Facebook.
Based on video engagement statistics, users engage with brands on Instagram more than on any other platform. Even though brands post less on Instagram than they do on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter, brand engagement occurs 10, 54, and 84 times more on Instagram, respectively.
62. Over 50% of Instagram users follow brands.
It is estimated that half of Instagram users follow their favorite brands, 10% more than Facebook users do.
(Global Web Index)
63. 50% of business Instagram accounts have posted an Instagram story.
With 500+ million daily active users, Instagram stories offer massive opportunities for reaching the right audience. Having recognized the potential of this feature, 50% of businesses have already posted an Instagram story.
64. Sponsored Instagram videos generate 3x more comments than sponsored photos.
As video marketing statistics reveal, Instagram videos are highly engaging and can create an authentic connection between brands and their audience. Sponsoring a video on Instagram can generate 3x more comments than sponsored photos.
65. IGTV has over a billion users.
Instagram TV has proven to be a massive success, reaching one billion users in no time. This stand-alone app was introduced as a way for brands to build stronger connections with their customers and the general audience. It offers videos ranging from 15 seconds to 60 minutes long and various cost-cutting options such as subtitles, which can save companies millions of dollars. 77% of marketers have already used IGTV to post a video.
Twitter Video Marketing Stats
66. Half of Twitter’s revenue is from video ads.
Like every other platform listed above, Twitter found that video marketing was the way to go back in 2018. According to the latest Twitter stats, the platform gets 2 billion video views every day. The company’s advertising revenue reached $791 million and more than half of this sum came from video ads from corporate clients.
67. 50% of Twitter users are able to recall the platform’s ads after viewing them.
Twitter Ads reports show that half of Twitter users are able to remember an ad they’ve seen on the platform seconds after viewing it in their feed. By comparison, stats about video marketing reveal 80% of traditional TV viewers are not able to recall a commercial they’ve just seen.
68. 82% of Twitter users actively engage with brands.
Out of the 500 million posts that go up on Twitter every day, more than half are directed toward brands. It’s estimated that 82% of Twitter users, or around 240 million people every month, have some sort of contact with brands, either by seeing their ad or tweeting, retweeting, or favoring tweets that revolve around them.
69. Twitter live-streamed more than 830 live events in 2017’s third quarter.
According to the video content statistics available to its shareholders, Twitter live-streamed more than 830 events in the third quarter of 2017. The live-streaming feature convinced more than half a million new advertisers to join Twitter in less than a year.
70. The cost-per-engagement of Twitter ads with videos is 50% cheaper.
Not only can promoted tweets with videos deliver your messages better and in a more engaging way, but they also save you money. What’s more, video tweets get 10 times more engagement.
71. Promoted videos increase favorability by 18%.
Promoted videos are a paid feature that Twitter offers its advertisers so your video can show more often and on more users’ feeds. According to these stats about video marketing, getting your video promoted can prove to be an excellent business decision as it increases favorability by nearly a fifth.
72. Brands that have their logo incorporated into the video ad are 9% more likely to increase buyers’ purchase intent.
Companies who advertise using the video ad feature on Twitter and have their logo appear at some point in the video are 9% more likely to induce an intent to buy.
Snapchat Video Marketing Stats
73. 64% of marketers have a Snapchat account.
With the Snapchat Discover situation making a rapid improvement, 64% of marketers worldwide have decided to join the platform. Jewelry and watch companies were the first to move to Snapchat, with everyone else following.
74. Only 11% of video marketers have used Snapchat as a video channel.
Video marketing statistics reveal Snapchat is pretty underused. Only 11% of marketers have used the platform as a video channel with less than half of them reporting success.
75. Marketing with Sponsored Lenses costs between $450,000 and $750,000 per day.
For the advertisers who want to appeal to younger audiences and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per day doing so, the Sponsored Lenses option might seem appealing. The effectiveness of this advertising option is not known, but—based on stats about video marketing—it’s estimated to be five times less effective than Snap Ads while costing the advertiser an arm and a leg.
(The Wall Street Journal)
76. 60% of Snap Ads are viewed with the sound on.
Snapchat’s video popularity with the sound on is impressive. Especially when compared to other social networks, the advantage of Snapchat is apparent. For example, the number of Facebook ads that are viewed with sound on is just 15%.
The Future of Video Marketing
These video marketing statistics prove that this content format is more engaging and more popular than any other type of content; hence, it’s one of the most effective tactics used by digital marketers. The golden age of video is upon us and if you still haven’t used it, keep up with the latest video marketing trends and find the most suitable way for your business to start leveraging video and thereby grow brand awareness and drive leads.
- Social Media Week
- Yans Media
- Render Forest
- Think with Google
- Think with Google
- The Mx Group
- Social Samosa
- Small Business Trends
- Business Insider
- Penna Powers
- Strike Social
- Global Web Index
- The Wall Street Journal
- Sprout Social
- Huffington Post